The campaign continues for high speed broadband in rural Test and Dun Valleys. To date the virtual town (consisting of Houghton, West Tytherley, Broughton, Wherwell, Winterslow, Firsdown, Michelmersh, Timsbury, Kings Somborne, Goodworth Clatford, Chilbolton and Stockbridge) has been registering their interest in the project, using Cable My Street, which has triggered Virgin Media to invest in designing a brand new fibre to the home (FTTH) optical fibre network for the area. This is a ‘proof of concept’ project for Virgin Media who have, to date, only deployed their networks in urban environments.
What’s New on the Website?
- Clarified that no money will be taken from people until the build is complete in their area.
12th May 2017
- The community contribution has been removed and replaced with a one-off flat-rate sign-up charge of £300.
- Added further village sessions.
The Latest Progress
The tiered community contribution has been replaced with a flat rate of £300 per property regardless of village or value of home.In addition to that you will need to pay an activation fee of £20 plus a ‘typical’ install fee of £40. This amount will vary depending on which services you sign up for but will be capped at a maximum of £99.
The £300 community contribution, activation and install fees will all be payable when the network, in your area, has been built and you are able to receive the service. They will remain constant whether you sign up now or in 5 years’ time.
For the network to be built, we need to achieve 1000 sign-ups across the virtual town by the end of July 2017, but each village much also reach their own taret of 25%. Virgin Media anticipate sign-ups going live in early June.
Virgin Media will be attending various village events in May, June and July. Nine have been organised:
- Broughton – School Fete, Sunday 14th May (see photo below)
- Goodworth Clatford – Parish Council meeting, Thursday 25th May
- Chilbolton – Village meeting, Saturday 27th May
- Wherwell – Village Fete, Saturday 10th June
- West Tytherley – Village Fete, Saturday 10th June
- Stockbridge – Villageg Fete, Saturday 10th June
- Houghton – Coffee morning, Saturday 17th June
- Winterslow – Village Fete, Saturday 17th June
- Kings Somborne – Village Fete, Saturday 22nd July
Further events will follow and all events will be publicised on this website – see upcoming events on the right hand side.
Virgin Media at Broughton Village Fete – 14th May
The next target to meet is 1000 sign-ups across the Virtual Town, with each village needing to meet its own 25% sign-up target. A sign-up will involve entering your details into Virgin Media’s CableMyStreet and confirming your understanding that the £300 sign-up charge, activation and install fees will be payable once you receive your service. The window in which we need to meet the sign-up target is small so please don’t leave it until the last minute. Online sign-ups will start in early June and close on the 31st July. We will let you know as soon as it has gone live.
It will be possible to see the progress on the number of people who have signed up on the CablyMyStree website.
The latest Cable My Street league table is as below.
To those of you unfamiliar with the table, it indicates the total number of households, plus the % of each village, who have registered their interest using Cable My Street.